Submitted by Drs. Bohn, Nielsen, Castillo, Wright, and Ward, The Vein Specialists, LLC
It is winter, the weather is cold and blustery, and we are wearing long pants or tights that cover our legs. If you are already looking forward to summer sun, bathing suits, shorts, and short skirts, now is the perfect time to begin treatment for varicose and spider veins.
Your varicose and spider veins did not develop overnight and they cannot be corrected overnight. Treatment usually requires a series of appointments over a few weeks or months to achieve the best results. Beginning treatment now means you’ll have better looking and less painful legs for the summer.
There are many advantages to treating varicose veins in the winter months.
- You’ll need to wear compression stockings before and after treatment. Compression stockings can be hot in the warmer months, but are nice and cozy during the winter. The legs are covered up anyway, so no worries about the fashion statement compression hose might make!
- There can be some bruising and discoloration during treatment, which will be hidden by winter clothes.
- Your winter wardrobe will allow your legs time to heal and time to reveal a noticeable difference in the appearance of your legs.
- Your legs should not be exposed to the sun during treatment.
- The tiny incisions required by some treatments heal best when they are not exposed to the sun.
- The earlier you begin treatment, the more likely you will have great-looking legs to show off when summer rolls around.
- Winter treatment will result in less painful, less swollen legs, which will allow you to be more physically active in the summer months.
If you are ready to say good bye to your varicose veins or spider veins, call The Vein Specialists at 309-862-4000 to schedule an appointment with one of their doctors to discuss your treatment options. They have convenient locations at 3302 Gerig Drive in Bloomington or 2011 Rock Street, Suite D2 in Peru.