Quad Cities, IL/IA

Working with the community... for a healthier community.

When Should I See an Audiologist?


By Heather Sandy, MA, CCC-A

It has been estimated that 10 percent of the US population experiences hearing difficulties. Hearing loss, and other ear conditions, can affect all age groups. In fact, a surprising 65 percent of those with hearing loss are under the age of 65! Hearing loss can be congenital (present at birth), increase slowly overtime time, or even show up very suddenly. Changes in hearing may be related to other conditions, such as ear infections and dizziness.

An audiologist is a health care professional that can evaluate, diagnose, and manage hearing and balance disorders. If you have any of the following symptoms, it may be time to visit an audiologist for an examination:

  • You often ask people to repeat themselves
  • You have difficulty following conversation, especially in noise
  • You feel like most people are mumbling
  • You have trouble hearing on the telephone
  • You hear ringing or other noise in ears
  • You are dizzy, or have balance concerns
  • You experience ear pain or pressure

Your audiologist will perform a thorough examination to determine if any hearing loss or potential medical problem exists. We will discuss the results with you, and recommend any appropriate follow up. If there is any potential medical concern, we may recommend you see your primary care physician or an ear, nose and throat physician. If hearing loss is found, and hearing aids are an option, the audiologist is an expert in the selection and fitting of appropriate hearing aids, or other amplification.

If you, or a loved one, are experiencing any symptoms of hearing loss or other ear disorders, please consider an appointment with an audiologist for further evaluation.

For more information, call Audiology Consultants, PC, at 563-355-7712; or visit www.audiologyconsultants.com.

Photo credit: monkeybusinessimages/iStock