Happiness is meeting new people, finding a penny, or pizza with sausage. Happiness is learning to whistle or tying your shoe for the very first time. Happiness is singing in your church choir. Happiness is walking hand in hand with the love of your life. Happiness is your favorite kind of ice cream, spending time with family, catching a firefly, and then setting him free. Happiness is being alone every now and then. Happiness is coming home again.
What I am trying to say is that everyone’s version of happiness is completely different. At Silvercrest Garner, we try to infuse happiness into the lives of everyone that we meet. Whether it is a new resident, a new employee, or the daughter that is just starting to explore senior living for her parents, it is our goal to bring happiness to that person. That is why we started our iHappiness program!
We believe iHappiness can be broken down into five categories:
1. Our Bodies: Physical Wellness
- Fitness for our residents and employees
- Presentations on health, wellness, and nutrition
- Healthy dining choices
2. Our Minds: Intellectual Wellness
- A variety of intellectual activities for residents and employees
- Outings to museums, art galleries, travelogues, and historical presentations
- Opportunities for residents and employees to shares skills, interests, and past experience with others
3. Our Spirits: Spiritual Wellness
- Regular worship services for people of all faiths
- Transportation for worship services
- A variety of spiritual activities (i.e. regular bible study, discuss groups, outside speakers)
4. Our Hearts: Emotional Wellness
- Coping with stress and loss
- Support groups that assist residents and family members in coping with difficult situations
- Birthday celebrations
- Resident and employee “favorite things” survey that is completed upon move-in/hire
5. Our Friends: Social Wellness
- A variety of social activities where residents and employees are able to socialize together
- Resident and employee welcome groups to help welcome the new people into the community and develop friendships
- Intentional opportunities for residents and team members to get to know each other and develop friendships
We have all heard the saying “It takes far fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown,” and at Silvercrest Garner, we live that each day. If we can strive to ensure that we, and those that we serve, live with purpose, live connected, and live happy, then we have all achieved iHappiness!
For more information or to set up a tour, contact 563-386-9196 or visit www.GarnerFarms.com. Located at 1575 West 53rd St., Davenport, IA.
Photo credit: Aldo Murillo/iStock