Submitted by Jennifer Solis, Bless These Brows
Everyone wants to look their best, especially during the holidays. And what is the first thing you see in the mirror? Your skin! Unfortunately, the focus on skin is often more about superficial appearance and not enough about the health of the skin. When skin is healthy at the most basic, cellular level, you’ll look younger, and have a healthier overall appearance.
Healthy skin is the result of everyday habits, like proper cleansing, moisturizing, using SPF, getting enough sleep, and avoiding stress. And while there are many non-surgical procedures and treatments like Botox, micro-dermabrasion, chemical peels, and dermaplaning that are very effective and will immediately improve the way your skin looks, it’s still important to take proper care of your skin every day to get the maximum benefit from any procedure.
Effective skin care doesn’t need to be complicated, even though we are bombarded every day by information and products that seem to suggest otherwise. So give yourself the gift of gorgeous skin this holiday season by following these simple steps.
- Use SPF of at least 30 every day—even when the temperature is cold and the sky is cloudy. The sun’s UV rays, which can cause skin cancer as well as premature aging, penetrates through glass, so protect your skin even when you are inside. NEVER use a tanning bed. If you want to have a bronzed look, use a self-tanning product or experiment with bronzing make-up.
- Always remove make-up first, and then cleanse your skin before bed. For most skin-types, use a mild, gentle, fragrance-free cleanser that won’t strip your skin of natural oils. Forget the idea that skin should be “squeaky clean.” Skin should not feel tight after cleansing.
- Exfoliating 1–3 times per week helps slough off the top layer of dead skin cells which leaves the skin brighter and helps reveal the newer skin under the surface. Exfoliation can be done using a gentle brush or scrub, or by applying an exfoliating product that dissolves the dead skin cells. Many people get carried away and scrub too vigorously or too often, leaving skin irritated or inflamed.
- All skin needs moisture—even oily, acne prone skin. It’s important to understand that the skin is an intricate protective layer of cells that requires adequate hydration to stay healthy and looking its best. The cold outside temperature combined with the dry indoor heat can play havoc with the skin and moisture needs change as we get older. If you are still using the same products you used in the summer, it’s probably time for a change.
- Consider professional services such as microdermabrasion and dermaplaning that not only give an immediate “holiday glow,” but will help keep your skin in tip-top shape all year long.
Adequate sleep, exercise, proper nutrition, and lower stress levels will also make a visible difference in the health of your skin. But between work, family, household duties, and holiday activities, women often take care of everyone else and neglect their own needs. This year, give yourself as much attention as you give everyone else—after all, you deserve it!
Jennifer Solis, owner of Bless These Brows, is a Licensed Aesthetician and Medical Aesthetics Certified. She specializes in skin rejuvenation procedures such as micro-dermabrasion and dermaplaning as well as micro-blading, which is a semi-permanent procedure to fill in thinning brows. She is located at 1212 Towanda Ave. For more information on services and appointment scheduling link, visit her website www.blessthesebrows.com. You can also reach her by phone at 309-831-7433. Gift Certificates are always the perfect gift!