Submitted by Friendship Manor
The new year allows us to think about the days and years past and those yet to come—what we’ve accomplished in life and what we want to do next. Some of our biggest memories often center around … home. As we all know, home is both a place and an idea. It’s not as simple as a dwelling; all the memories made there help build the foundation of what “home” is.
As a retiree, moving out of your home can come with more obstacles than just the packing and moving process. There are emotional hurdles to navigate, too. This may be the place where you raised your kids, hosted holidays, built and maintained traditions, and more. Those are all things that can’t just be boxed up and easily taken from place to place, but there are things you can do to continue to hold them near and dear anywhere.
Here are some ideas to cherish memories wherever you go:
- Take photos of each room in your home and put them in a photo album to enjoy anywhere you go.
- Have leftover rolls of wallpaper from years ago? Frame a piece to take and hang up in your new place.
- Make a photo collage of your favorite memories and times at “home” to display where you can enjoy them often. You can even try a digital photo frame display!
- Turn your beloved curtains or other home textiles into throw pillows to decorate your new place or make a shadow box with pieces of home.
- Find a scent diffuser that reminds you of a beloved time or place and use that to make the new space more comforting.
Friendship Manor honors your memories, traditions and more. We’ve helped Seniors create memories while cherishing the old since 1979, and we appreciate those who now consider us home. If you’re interested in learning more or scheduling a tour, please call us at (309) 786-9667.